Thursday, January 28, 2010

Do You Really Need Another Sewing Machine?

That is what my husband asked me when I told him I was getting another one. "What a silly question!" I replied. Of course I do when it's a Singer 301-A in a cabinet for $40.00.
Singer 301-A in its cabinet
It's in GREAT condition and so is the cabinet, so I couldn't pass it up. I took it to the Harlem Sewing Center to have the tension balanced and it sews beautifully. Don't ask how many machines I now have because quite frankly, I'm not sure. It's around 8 or 9. You might recall that I bought another 301-A about two years ago at an estate sale. I still have that one and I love it, too, but it isn't in a cabinet. A cabinet that has a knee control.
Singer 301-A
It's pretty, isn't it? I have my Diamond set up to embroider some quilt labels, so I'll be piecing Sunny's quilt with the 301. I'm in love with it! In the spring I'll probably sand the cabinet and refinish it. Maybe I'll stain it a lighter color or maybe I"ll paint it a cool retro color. I don't know. For now I'm just going to enjoy sewing with it!

13 comments:

julia said...

Great Buy!

Anonymous said...

It is lovely!

I have 6 Singer sewing machines and Hubby can't complain because he has 6 guitars. We call it even. I have 3 antique's (the black ones), I don't know what 2 of them are but I do know one of them is a Singer Redeye and I am only the 4th owner. I also have an Athena 2000 that was my mom's.

I'm a total Singer girl!

Chicago Sarah said...

I have such serious house envy...can't wait until I have a sewing room and can set mine up (I only have four but I am ready to add more)!

Love Of Quilts said...

Nice cabinet great buy.

Shannon said...

Awesome! And I adore that Ellie quilt! Great work!!

kaetrn said...

this is such an amazing find! men just don't get it, do they?

Claremont First Ward said...

Amazing FIND Arizona. Just remind your hubby that at least you are collecting sewing machines instead of printing presses like in the past. Takes up way less space. :) I do remember correctly about the printing press, right?

Vintage Girl said...

Great find and I'm glad you are using it. I have bought 2 Singers in cabinet over the years and they work beautifully. The quality is there. Enjoy!! Heather

QuiltedSimple said...

wow. what a great find. guess i really need to start going to more estate sales....
kris

Robin said...

Great find! My mom had a sewing machine pretty similar to that one when I was a kid. It had a cabinet and a knee control. I've never seen a knee control one since, so your comment about that brought back memories!

girlytwins said...

Awesome. My grandma used to have one of those. It brings back so many wonderful memories!

SEWButterfly said...

Love it! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Your Singer is BEAUTIFUL!!! I'd love it if I found this!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin