Thursday, October 2, 2008

A New-To-Me Old Singer

I went to an estate sale last weekend and couldn't resist buying this old lady:

I certainly don't need another sewing machine and our apartment is really limited on space, but something about this machine said, "Buy me!" So I did. For $25.

Luckily, its a lot like my mom's first Singer so I knew that this thing is the bobbin winder.


This is awesome. A guide for seam allowances. My machine has lines, but it doesn't have the measurements printed on the plate. This is nice.

And it came with a briefcase full of attachments. Bonus. If only I knew how to use them.

Lots of feet, too. There are a few I have no idea what they do.

I sewed a few seams with it and it has an awesome straight stitch. In fact, I could see myself sewing all my quilts with it. It'd make me feel so....vintage.

I love that all the attachments came with instruction manuals. If only the machine did! I know I have to oil it, but I have no idea where and don't know how to take the cover off. Anyone have an owner's manual for a Singer 3101A???

Edited to add: I have since purchased another 301A (this one for $40, but it came with a table). To see it, click here.

14 comments:

Cactusneedles said...

Don't have an owner's manual for you, but it's similar to the one my mom had (and now I have). I oil it by tipping it on it's side (mine's in the foldout table). Also, there might be a screw on the side above the needle, take that side plate off and then you can clean out/de-lint where the thread goes up and down. Hope that helps a little! Great find! :)

Jaime said...

I think my sewing machine might be similar? It's way old, I know that much! Unfortunately, I don't know much more than that. I just do the basics with it, nothing fancy. I wonder if I'm supposed to oil mine?

Tracy said...

it looks like a beautiful machine!

Miri said...

Great sewing machine and you're so lucky with all those feet-I think one looked like a ruffler. You can try contacting Singer and see if they have an old manual, or try Ebay, I know I've seen old manuals for sale (weird isn't it).

Good N Crazy said...

Hey rockin cool. And I'll totally bet that it sews better than my brand new one with all it's plastic parts!

AJ said...

That's neat! My grandma has a really old machine as well. I took one look at it and told her that I would have no clue how to use it.

Philigry said...

waht a beautiful machine! what a deal.

QuiltedSimple said...

How cool that you found that at a garage sale. Guess I need to start looking more!
Kris

Chicago Sarah said...

Great find! I have a singer featherweight and those accessories look familiar. I seem to recall a website dedicated to just sewing machine feet...if I find it I'll send it.

Robin said...

Wow, you are on a roll with the sewing machine purchases!! That is a pretty cool machine.

Becky said...

This is beautiful, am so jealous, especially as I currently sewing machine-less.

LSS said...

You can download a manual at http://www.mastersewusa.com/

cidell said...

OMG. That machine is worth like $100- $300 depending on it's condition (if it's a 301). You lucky, lucky thing you.

annalu said...

Here is a manual I found for the Singer 301A. Enjoy!
http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/301.pdf

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin